Tuesday 12 August 2014

HOXTON MINI PRESS


I passed by a bookshop right in the middle of Shoreditch few weeks ago and I found this book called I've lived in East London for 86 1/2 years by Martin Usborne. Its title and cover photograph attracted me. I flipped through it and bought it. They also had Zed Nelson's A portrait of Hackney and East London swimmers by Madeleine Waller. Usborne's book was fascinating at first sight. He is following an aged and original local called Joe. This character is full of life, inquisitive and phoney. Usborne explains how he takes his time to get to know the man. This expanding relationship make him see and re-discover the East through Joe's eyes and brain. The way it is shot and the way it is published is very versatile, experimental and fluid. It is a lot of fun with a tragic end.
I didn't make any post at the time because I didn't know what direction was going to take this publishing project. Now, it seems that it has blossomed. The books involve different mediums and aspects of the East End. It has also been turned into an online arty crafty shop where collector's editions, prints, bags can be purchased.
Nice little project which is growing fast. To be watched...

Find more by visiting http://www.hoxtonminipress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment