Friday 31 May 2013

JUNE RESIDENCY


Our Shorts stories from an autonomous space take us to the Hackney Wick area in the coming up of the 2012 Games. Arnau Oriol Sanchez depicts real characters and unusual urban landscapes. The depth and colour of this series are not to be missed.

(Pre)Olympic Landscapes
Commissioned by the Hackney Museum this work looks at an area in transformation. Hackney is one of the four boroughs in London that hosted the 2012 Olympic Games. That fullfilled me with certain pride because being a resident it was a nice way to establish a relationship with a place I don’t belong to. I soaked the place, studied the work of some local photographers and read literature about Hackney. I realized that some of the odd and fascinating legacy of Hackney Wick was fading in front of my very eyes. Then I looked for images that could explain the transitional and ephemeral nature of that place. I also tried to capture the detached nostalgia.

Directions:
Workshop Coffee Marylebone
75 Wigmore Street
London W1U 1QD
nearest tube Bond street
open until 5pm daily

No comments:

Post a Comment